Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Show Me the Money

I've been wanting to post about this for days now, but with Mother's Day, sunny evenings spent away from the computer, and life in general, it's gotten pushed back to today.  And that's ok.  It's the things we do in life that take precedence, not the manor is which we record them.

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind around our house.  Somewhere nestled in between the daily ins and outs of our family routine, along with play dates, coffee dates, small groups, MOP's, and other assorted activities, came Brayden's second grade musical. 

Sometime in March, while the snow was still flying and amidst the other bazillion things on my plate, Brayden brought home a paper requesting that some of the parents from his grade help out.  Thinking, Oh hey, this play isn't until May.  No problem. I signed up to help and that was that.  Of course that was way before the parts had been assigned to the kids and the tasks had been assigned to the parent volunteers. 

It was really no surprise that Brayden, the charismatic and charming little man that he is, came home a few weeks later with one of the six lead roles.  He was, of course, beyond ecstatic, and rightfully so. 

One awesome costume and bald cap/wig later and Ben Franklin was born.
Add to that a whole lot of scrapbook paper, my cricut, and some play money and my task of decorating the stage was complete as well.


Now I don't know about you moms, but when my child was up there on that stage singing and dancing and being so brave in front of first his whole elementary school and then the families and friends of the whole second grade class, well something bursts.  Some dam somewhere inside of my heart broke open and as I watched firsthand what all of Brayden's excitement and preparations of learning his lines, the songs, and the dances, I bawled with tears of pride and joy.

The stage turned into colonial America and those sweet little boys and girls turned into our founding fathers and countrymen. 

Sometimes life has a way of throwing a wrench into your plans and for me it was that amazing little musical.  For the weeks leading up to it I was so focused on what I needed to get done and what I thought was important to do.  It was nice to be excited because Brayden was excited.  And I'm sure it was extra special for him to be the center of our routine for awhile, and then the center of attention in front of a ton of others as well. 

Oh, and an 8 year old in a bald cap .... funniest thing ever!

2 comments:

beka said...

aw, it sounds like a great time! hah, the wig...oh my:)

Devon said...

what a memory to hold forever! :)