Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Candy Caramel Apples

When I was a little girl my mom always made homemade candied caramel apple bites around the time that the Autumn winds started rolling though Western Pennsylvania. Now that I'm older with a family of my own and my brothers are teenagers who are just on the cusp of adulthood whom are never really home this tradition is something that I'm sad to see fall by the wayside.

But luckily, as a mother myself with two young kiddos, I have the opportunity to preserve those cherished traditions and pass them down to a whole new generation.


Ingredients:
2-3 Apples (I like Granny Smith and Red Delicious)
Wooden Skewers or lollipop sticks
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Water
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp Karo Syrup
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
10 oz bag of Soft Caramels
1.5 tbsp Heavy Cream
Toppings of your choice (optional)

With little hands around here, we opted for the miniature version of these scrumptious fall treats and use a melon baller to scoop out bits of the apples. Personally, I leave the skin on, it's too pretty to peel off. Go ahead and put your sticks though the apple balls and then place in the refrigerator to keep from turning brown

Next add your water and granulated sugar to a decently heavy pan and place on low heat. Mix well.

Add butter, Karo Syrup, and vanilla to the mixture and bring to a boil. Swirl the pan to mix the ingredients, do not use a spoon until the mixture is all formed together.

Remove the pan from the heat and dip your apples into the mixture, swirling the tips as you remove them. Stand them up on a tray and place back in the refrigerator for about 30-45 minutes or until the candy coating is hard.

While waiting for the apples to harden you can prepare your caramel. Place the unwrapped caramels and cream into a bowl and microwave until melted (use 30 second intervals so that the bottom portion of the caramels don't burn). Stir and and let cool until the mixture is no longer hot to the touch.

Next grab a few apples out of the fridge and dip into the caramel, and then into a topping of your choice (nuts, coconut, sprinkles, etc). You'll have to work in batches because once the caramel cools you won't be able to dip the apples into it, so it may need an additional few seconds in the microwave in between batches to soften it up. Be careful not to make it too hot though or else it will end up melting the candy coating off.

Stick in mini cupcake liners to contain any sticky messes and place back in the refrigerator to allow the caramel to set up and then chow down!

Get Your Craft On Tuesday


BWS tips button
giveaways

23 comments:

Unknown said...

*gasp* I HAVE to make those!! They are the cutest things EVER!

Melody said...

Fun! They look so cute and sweet. I'm totally making these for my friends.

Alessandra@ Tribal Times said...

Yes- they look really yummy!

Erin said...

Yum! There's nothing better than apples with caramel!

www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Super super super cute!

Unknown said...

I was just thinking of a party like this Sunday! Great idea with the cupcake liners

Alyssa S. said...

OOH, I LOVE the idea that you can make them in mini size! I would never have thought to use a melon baller. I know this month is "apple" month in Amelia's kindergarten class so I'm thinking we should try it!

Chana@ Mamma Town said...

Oh Dear Lord. I can't begin to thank you enough for this! I can't WAIT to make these!

ps-your Mary Tyler Moore comment today had me busting up:)

A Little Bit of Everything! said...

I've seen these around. Yours turned out super cute and I like the idea of using the mini cupcake liners.

Mandy Beyeler said...

Thanks for linking up to Take-a-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Craft Edition - I featured you today! - Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

These look yummy AND cute! Nice job!

Brooke @ The Crafting Chicks said...

These are too cute to be true!! I love the mini-ness of them. Definitely bookmarking this one! My first visit here and I'm loving it. I found you on BCD. :)

Blair McLeod said...

i've totally got to try this.. they look amazing!!

(also enjoying the music you have on your blog!)

p.s. have a little surprise on my blog today for all the blogs i have ever "wiggled"-- of course that includes you! xo

Devin and Brooke said...

hey I LOVE YOUR FALL ideas come link up on my link party

curlyqcrafts.blogspot.com

jmckemie said...

How do you get the melon baller to "cut" the apple? I have a plastic oneand it just smashes the apple.

Donene said...

Nothing says fall like carmel apples! Love it!
Can you help me out? I am in a contest because of a recent post that I did on my weight loss. There is a contest on Face Book and I need you to vote! I am so close and I don't want the other guy to win! Just click on the link below and like that page (up at the top) then in the left hand column find my picture( I’m the one in the black bathing suit) under photo's 4 of 14 click(SEE All) and leave a comment under my picture! Thanks!!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lehi-UT/Kristi-Approved/391083710513
You might have to copy and paste it into your browser

Laura said...

1. These look amazing!

2. I am in love with your blog and I'm your newest follower!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I love caramel apples. I have yet to make them but these look delicious!

Nina @ Momma Go Round said...

OMG I LOVE the idea of making them mini! I always go back for seconds (ok, maybe thirds sometimes) so having mini ones wouldn't make it so bad :)

I'm having a recipe link up this weekend and would love if you would add these amazing looking apples to it!

www.mommagoround.blogspot.com

Denise Marie said...

showed your apple pic on my blog today. :)

http://denisemarie-christmas.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-place-to-trick-or-treat.html

Jen said...

I LOVE this! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I think I'll make these for my daughter's upcoming fall-themed birthday party. Super cute!

P.S. I'm your newest follower! :0)

http://framefanatic.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

These look fabulous! One question....do you need to do the candy coating? Does it help the caramel stick, or could you just do the caramel?

Quilting Mama said...

Holy cow - I pinned this looooong ago from a random person, and had no idea it led back to you til today