Thursday, January 3, 2013

Balance // My One Little Word for 2013


If you are unfamiliar with the concept of picking one little word to guide you throughout the year, start here.

If you happened to read my post yesterday, than my one little word for 2013 won't be that much of a surprise.  Balance is something that I have been severely lacking over the past bits of my life and is something that I think I desperately need to restore.

This is my first year actually choosing a word to represent myself.  For some reason it always seemed too lofty of a goal, or maybe it was too stifling, being limited to just that one word.  Or maybe it was a complete cop-out because I just wasn't ready.  

2013 is the year that I turn 30.  It's the year that I finally get serious about my health.  It's the year that we take more control over our finances and start budgeting, It's the year that I say goodbye to MOPS, a ministry that's been a huge part of my life for the last 3 years.  It's the year that we grow a garden in our backyard.  It's the year that I spend more time outdoors.  It's the year that I say Hello to everything good. It's the year that I won't bite off more than I can chew.

And I'm ready for it all and then some.  But it's also the year where I will still work a full time job.  I will still be a wife, a mom, a sister, a daughter, and a friend.  I will still have ups and downs and I'm pretty certain that there will still be days where I struggle.  But with balance, I can grow into someone different, someone who handles the seasons of life better.  A lot of stretching needs to take place before I can get to that place.  And that's what this year is all about.

I want 2013 to be about recognizing that I get to choose. I get to decide how I am going to react to the big things and the little things and all the medium things that will come up over the course of a year. I can choose which battles are going to be worth the fight and I can choose which things are worthwhile enough to devote my time to.  I can say no to things, and that's ok. I can walk the line without teetering over one side or the other.

In the face of all the adjustments, love, growing pains, newness and oldness scheduled for 2013, I choose to have balance.  

No comments: