Monday, March 21, 2011


Yesterday was an interesting day. And by interesting I mean absolutely terrible.

I'd love to write all about my fun new iPhone and post fun Hipstamatic pictures for you all to see, but really that's so far from the front of mind that a light hearted Monday post just isn't in the cards.

The week before last poor little Brayden came down with a double inner ear infection and had to miss a few days of school after a visit to the pediatrician. He took his antibiotics faithfully and after 10 days the infection cleared up and all was well. Normal childhood illness at it's finest.

12 days after his initial diagnosis though Brayden started to get a few pink dots on his belly and face, a small rash we weren't exactly sure was related to anything at all. And since it was a Friday evening we opted to wait and see if it got worse and then take him back to the pediatrician on Monday.

Well, it got worse, much much worse. The sparse little red dots multiplied to cover his entire body head to toe and grew into large red patches of inflamed skin. And he developed a fever so high he was shaking with chills and was absolutely restless.

We spent Sunday afternoon in the emergency room. As it turns out Brayden is highly allergic to the antibiotic he was taking for his ear infection.

Thankfully our hospital visit was short and in the grand scheme of things, was non-serious. But even still, as a mother, it takes it's toll on you to see your child, who is obviously terrified, laying in a hospital bed. It's moments like that where you start playing the "what if" game. What if we hadn't of caught the rash in time? What if it had turned into anaphylactic shock in the middle of the night and he stopped breathing? What if this scarred his sweet little body?

Needless to say, I was am a wreck. He's alright though, thank God. But he so easily couldn't have been, and that's what terrifies me.

But no, our crummy day didn't stop there. After our hospital trip, on our way to my parents house to grab some dinner, we were rear ended by a drunk driver. Thank God, we're all ok.

I'll never understand why people make the choice to get drunk and then get behind the wheel of a car. Thankfully we drive a monster of a Jeep and our tailgate and hitch took the damage, rather than our bodies. I'm convinced that if we had been in a smaller vehicle there's a good chance that my boys who were in the backseat could have been seriously hurt.

That whole situation is still so fresh in my mind that I don't even want to keep writing about it. We're all ok, and that's what matters. The rest the insurance company can figure out while I cuddle my babies and tell them just how much I love them and how thankful I am to have them in my life. Days like this put things into perspective.

Yeah, so ... how was your weekend?


Nikke said...

Poor guy! I'm glad nothing serious happened with his allergic reaction. I had a severe allergic reaction when I was younger and couldn't breathe. It was scary!
As for the drunk driver, shame on him! I don't understand why people are that stupid. Hubster was one of those dummies (before we ever started dating) that did it and he got caught. He was ashamed, did his classes and stopped drinking after that.
I'm so glad you all are okay though!
Hopefully next weekend is much better for you and your fam =]

Marisa Hopkins said...

Oh my goodness, I am SO GLAD YOU ARE ALL OKAY!!

Also, I ADORE your new blog look!!

Chana said... Talk about a pile of drama on your plate! I'm SO sorry your little man was so ill. It is so horrible to watch our kids suffer. Praying for his recovery!! And that drunk driver needs to be in JAIL! ugh!

Ashley said...

My goodness!! Sending tons of hugs and love to you all. So thankful he turned out ok..but my goodness what a scary thing! I HATE when people drink and drive so I am very sorry that happened to you guys as well..but very grateful no one got injured. You guys take it easy now!

AlyGatr said...

How HORRIBLE! I thank every lucky star out there you were able to live to tell the tale. There is just no...NO excuse for driving drunk. I would say I hope the experience scared the driver sober but I know that is rarely the case. That makes me so MAD. Poor Brayden. I'm glad you were able to catch it in enough time to get him help.

And might I add, on a happier note, LOVE the blog look. SO sweet

Beka said...

wow....God kept you safe!
poor little man. i'm so glad you guys caught it! hope he recovers well. ♥

Jen said...

Drunk drivers suck! My sister and her best friend were hit by one in Feb. 2005...nearly head on by a huge Ford truck and they were in a Chevy Aveo. My sister's friend was killed on impact and my sister nearly died, too. She was in ICU for a few weeks and then rehab for a few weeks (due to a broken femur, among other injuries). So glad you are all okay! And that is scary about Brayden...thank goodness he is okay, too. *hugs* It seems so odd that he didn't have the reaction until he was done with the meds! I've never heard of that.

Nen said...

oh my!! you definitely had a go of it! i hope that all is well with your little guy now!! it's definitely scary to be in the hospital, no matter what age! i'm sure he was glad you were there to comfort him!

i absolutely HATE alcohol. actually, i refuse to even *try* it because i just think that it is totally unnecessary in my life. i have an uncle who is an alcoholic... and he caused an accident once. he's so lucky he didn't kill someone... but he did scar his face for life. (it's hard to have sympathy for that!) i am so glad you guys are OK! some people are so irresponsible!!

Ms. Blasé said...

This sounded like a EXTREMELY trying 24 hours! So glad to hear that God kept a protective hedge around you and your family!