Thursday, September 30, 2010

What Do You Blog About?

That is the number one question people ask me upon hearing that I have a blog. The answer, as it would seem, varies with my mood. Sometimes this place is undeniably a parenting blog. All posts about the antics of my children all the time. Sometimes I share a funny story or a heartful setiments. There are a few recipes here and there. Sometimes it’s all about photos. Often it’s a running conversation between like-minded women about our daily lives. And we’ve discussed what I believe to be the danger of sharing only the pretty side of things.

But there is an equal danger in dwelling on the difficult. How easy it would be to complain about the juggling act that is being a mother. Or to live in the dark moments and become overwhelmed by them. And believe me, I go there. But coming to this place reminds me to look for small goodness in the mix. The moments I want to remember are plenty but often become obscured by the bigness of the harder ones.

So, suburbia isn’t always pretty. But when the sun shines off the rain puddles in front of our house it amazes me. And there might be toys on the floor but their bright colors bring joy to my moments.

My kids exasperate me and they do it often. But I know that’s because I’m doing it right. If they were complacent sponges who never questioned anything they would be boring humans. Especially when this world is made to be questioned and the minds of children are made to be inquisitive. It’s not my goal to raise boys who can’t think for themselves. (Although it would be awesome if they could clean up after themselves!)

It’s hard. This whole thing. Being a grown up. Navigating life. But I’m grateful for this community we’ve built of women who share themselves with each other and support the idea that you’re not doing it wrong if you’re struggling.

And reinforcing the idea that stopping to notice the colors is a worthwhile activity.

2 comments:

Alyssa S. said...

I'm like you, I pretty much blog about both good and bad. The weird thing is though, I think at some point people, in the blog world as in life, sort of decide "who you are" and if they are used to your blogging style, have certain expecations of you. Sometimes it can be a little limiting. You know me, I tend to be one of those "cup half full" people and I think my blog reflects that, but if I have a bad day and I write about something that isn't so sunny, people seem to run...you know what I mean? It's almost as if I'm not allowed to have a bad day. Is that something I did to myself?? I don't know. I try to tell myself to just write, whether it stays with people or not, but it's hard when you try to be honest and people don't respond!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

Ha! My answer changes from person to person too. If it's someone I don't think will understand "mom blogging" I just say it's a way for me to keep track of Ruari's milestones. :) I enjoy reading ALL your posts.