Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Heart Based Parenting


The biggest thing that I know about parenting is that I don't know very much at all. There is a plethora of information out there, and in the almost 8 years that I've been a mom I don't think that I've even begun to scratch the surface. Most days around our house are crazy ones. Ones where the boys act out and wrestle around, or don't finish their dinners, or decide that the bathroom sink is their new favorite place to play. On those days I just want to pull my hair out in frustration and scream.

I know that I can talk a good talk when it comes to my boys. Just read this blog, there's proof in the pudding. However, most days are not sunshine and rainbows. No, most days I'm simply trying to keep my head about water. And then I get that lingering thought inside of my head that says "You aren't doing enough". To which I reply, "I don't know what more I can do!"

Recently, Mike and I went to a parenting seminar called Everyday Parents Can Raise Extraordinary Kids. There they spoke about basic parenting skills but how they relate to the principals of Jesus and biblical scriptures. It was amazing.

I wasn't alone. In that room with my husband and I were lots of other couples and mothers, all who were striving to find a way that they can do more in their roles as parents.

There I learned that perhaps it was my approach that was off on most days. While I know that I love my kids deeply, I've been moving through each day with the mind set of wanting to get things done. Parenting is heart based. More importantly, I've been deemed special enough to be chosen to be the one to shape and mold my children by someone so much greater than I could ever imagine. For that I need to be thankful and find the joy in the moments where there just doesn't seem to be any.

When the days are long and my patience is short, I need to remember to be grateful for all that I have. For every tear shed and brotherly fight, there is also a smile and a laugh. So it only makes sense that I should smile more too.

4 comments:

CourtneyKeb said...

I think sometimes we just need a reset button. Just a button in our brains that will give us a deep breath, sense of confidence, and the know how to get things done the "right" way.
Yea, that'd be a good button!

:)

Devon said...

sounds like that seminar was just what you needed! it's nice to know you're only human! i'm sure your post will be an encouragement to those mamas out there who want to rip their hair out at times! :)

beka said...

Great post, but I have to say...I'm in LOVE with that rendition of Calling You by Blue October!! Where on earth did you get it? <3 the acousticness.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you learned a lot from the parenting seminar! I might try and find one here as well. And yes...I hate when little rodents feel the need to make their home, inside my already existing home! Just sends chills up my spine!