Wednesday, July 21, 2010

In 20 Years


Dear Oh Mandie 20 Years From Now,

I know that the sentimental part of you will still be filling in pages of your scrapbooks and reminiscing over the stacks of photo albums you have and remembering when your babies were actual babies. I know that you're thinking of cuddling those small boys and reading bedtime stories and making s'mores over backyard fires. But please, for the sake of future new mother, remember the other times too.

Don't forget what life was like with two little boys running a muck around the house and leaving a trail in their wake. I know that the memories that tend to stick are the sweet ones, but I want you to remember the skinned knees, the fights, and the sleepless nights of not one but two babes with colic. Remember why the laundry didn't done and why the floor wasn't always swept, because every time you went to do your daily tasks one of those boys needed you.

So when a young mother tells you that she hasn't had the chance to shower for three days, believe her, because you once were her. And when you're at the grocery store and you see a mother struggling to hold on to her children, bags, keys, and sanity, offer her a smile rather than a grimace in annoyance, because she's doing the best that she can.

And those young moms that are in your family, circle of friends, church, or whatever? Don't wait for them to ask you for help, because us mom's, we're a proud bunch. Call her up and offer to come over for a few hours one day. And for heavens sake, bring her coffee.

Much Love,
Your Younger, Less Together Self

4 comments:

Alyssa S. said...

OK, I know this has nothing to do with ANYTHING, but Amelia was just looking at your blog while I was reading and saw one of the pics of you. She asked who you were and I said "that's my friend Amanda" and she said "I love her!" So know you are loved :)

So, on topic, could you please be sure to send a cc: copy of that letter to me 20 years from now?

Oh Mandie said...

hahaha, well I love her too!

Unknown said...

Yes, I want a copy of that letter in 20 years, too. Also, that's my friend Amanda! And I love her, too!

And also, LOVE your new blog look!!

Jen said...

This post made me cry!