Sunday, March 30, 2008

Blackbird Singing In The Dead Of Night

Ok, I admit it. I'm slightly behind the rest of the world. I'm not techo-savvy by any means, although I can figure my way around a computer if need be. I dont really watch alot of TV. I dont own an iPod, because, well, I refuse to pay that much money to listen to music... well that and I'm a mom of two small boys, I have no use for anything that requires headphones. And I almost never get to the movies to see films. God bless DVD's~!

I picked up Across the Universe a few weeks ago and just the other night did my husband and I find the time when the kids were asleep and we weren't both totally exhausted to finally watch this DVD. Now, speaking as a girl who is pretty much irreverently caught up in the eras of the 1960's and the 1970's and also a musical freak (both in the beautiful lyrics mixed with roaring guitar licks sense and the singing and dancing on broadway sense) I LOVED every second of this movie!

The imagery is just stunning! Seriously, watch it! ... its a bit trippy, but thats a big part of the charm of it all. The cast is amazing, and so talented! I admit I was a bit put off when I thought of someone other that the Beatles singing the Beatles songs, but the instrumental re-working that was done of such classic songs is acctually quite brillant. Oh, and these people can sing! The whole thing is just done so beautifully. Its been a long time since I've seen a movie that I've really adored. Most of the crap that comes out today is such garbage, but I guess that's the irony of it all, huh?.... seeing as this movie was influenced by the sounds, people, and life of a different time.

I still maintain that I was born in the wrong decade.
Oh... and the guy who plays Jude.... HOT!!! .... always a selling point :-D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh cool! I didn't know this was out yet. I am dying to see it! I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy it :)

Anne said...

Okay, I'm going to admit my ignorance of all things hip right out here on the Internet. But I've never even HEARD of this movie. DOH!!! It looks like something I'll have to check out, though. Thanks for bringing me back into this decade!